Illegal Printing of Part IV of The URANTIA Book
We are sad to report that Harry McMullan III, a General Councilor, a member of the Executive Committee, and the Treasurer of the Fellowship, has chosen to print Part IV of The URANTIA Book (excluding Paper 120, The Bestowal of Michael on Urantia.) Two of the Trustees, old friends of Mr. McMullan's, as well as numerous other individuals, have repeatedly appealed to him not to pursue this unwise action, this illegal and unauthorized publication. We see Mr. McMullan's publishing Part IV separate from Parts I, II, and III as counterproductive for the following reasons:
- The authors of the book have given us a carefully painted picture of the cosmos, its origin, history, and destiny in relation to the life and teachings of Jesus, our Creator Son, as he is carefully portrayed in Parts I, II, III, and IV of the book.
- It presumes to second guess the intentions of the Revelatory Commission who gave us the text as an entirety. It does not preserve the text, as it was given to us—the entire text—inviolate.
- It presents the Urantia teachings as a Christian cult—especially with the crucified Christ on the cover—rather than as the fifth epochal revelation with its magnificent teachings to our entire world with all its diverse cultures and religions.
- It encourages other people to break up the book, to break the law, and to violate the copyright.
- It is an affront to the very purpose of URANTIA Foundation and its trust.
- It is illegal—please refer to the Library of Congress web site: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf
On page 215, a Divine Counselor of Uversa warns us:
[T]here is always great danger of succumbing to the error of the circumscribed viewpoint, to the evil inherent in a segmentalized conceition of reality and divinity.
For example: The human mind would ordinarily crave to approach the cosmic philosophy portrayed in these revelations by proceeding from the simile and the finite to the comilex and the infinite, from human origins to divine destinies. But that path does not lead to spiritual wisdom. Such a procedure is the easiest iath to a certain form of genetic knowledge, but at best it can only reveal man's origin; it reveals little or nothing about his divine destiny. (par. 1 & 2)
The Trustees and staff of URANTIA Foundation, the leadership of the International URANTIA Association, and many members of the Fellowship have vigorously in thought, word, and deed promoted and pursued a policy of unity and cooperation among readers and reader groups. Acting on his own, without the approval of the Fellowship's General Council, Mr. McMullan, the Treasurer of the Fellowship and owner and Chairman of Alliance Steel, has illegally printed 15,000 copies of Part IV of The URANTIA Book. In so doing, he is causing controversy and divisiveness within the community of readers.
Sources close to Mr. McMullan inform us that he would invite a lawsuit from the Foundation, and that he would expend millions of his personal fortune to break the Foundation's ownership of the copyright and thereby drive it into the public domain. By expressing such sentiments he indicates his determination to "destroy" URANTIA Foundation.
Audio Urantia Book
Board Meeting Decisions
Urantia Foundation History